Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Caused a Commotion at Safeway This Morning

Goddamn cats.  Everything would've been fine if cats weren't bitches.  But no, "Feed us!  Feed us!" Sigh.  Off to Safeway on a scrotum-shearingly cold 5:30 January morning.

Grocery stores at off-peak hours can be a mixed blessing.  I love that there are very, very few customers to get in my way - morning joggers, derelicts looking for their first bottle (sorry, guys, 6 AM in California!), and humanity-avoiders like myself.  But inevitably, the shopping space is marred by the dozens of pallets lining the aisles - it seems that the dead of night and early morning is the best time to stock a very busy store.  That's not so bad - I'd rather slalom between mini-forklifts full of Chef Boyardee than seventeen blue-hairs in the Metamucil aisle.

This morning, there was a customer in front of the store trying to pack about six gallons of milk into her backpack and bicycle basket.  She seemed very earnest, but I had my doubts as to her foresight.  Inside, the store was eerie - the lights were at about 50% power, and they seemed to be working with an almost-skeleton crew.  The aisles had the usual to-be-shelved merchandise, but only a dozen or so stockers for a full 15-or-20-aisle store.  Fewer people means less hassle, even with floors full of stock, so it was a quick circuit around the store.  Green beans, cat food, cat litter, and trash bags - ooh, look, a 55-cents-off coupon for the trash bags!  Score!

The cashiers at this particular Safeway (NON-self-serve, unfortunately) don't handle the coins they give as change.  They have these coin dispensers at the end of each aisle - the cashier gives you the bills, the machine gives you the coins.  This morning, the worker was having a hard time removing the self-adhesive coupon from the trash bags.  I noticed his short nails, and said, "I have longer nails, let me try."  And as I reached over to help, my forearm hit the change dispenser and knocked it approximately to China.  Coins everywhere.  I mean, everywhere.  Yes, literally, even in space.  Everywhere.  "Oh, Shit!", is of course, what I said.  I tried my best to help, but there was money under the counter, under the Claw Game and Lotto machine off to the side, under the gum display.  Just a debacle.

The cashier did a valiant job of not giving me too much of an overt stinkeye.  He did wonder out loud why this particular machine wasn't bolted down, and I think that's my best course of action - blame it on the machine.

As I was heading out, the lady with the milk was still struggling, but with her bike lock.  It had been ten minutes, so I said, "Do you need any help?  You were having trouble when I went in..."

"No, asshole, keep it in your pants!"

No comments:

Post a Comment