Monday, February 11, 2013

One More Hilarious Childhood Trauma

I'm finding it hard to write today, but for a different reason than the usual "writer's block." I'm agitated today, physically and mentally, and I'm not sure why. I have just a touch of extra energy or something, like I had too much coffee. My brain is all tingly behind my eyeballs, like there are sparks or something in there. My fingers, too, are all jumpy.

Weird, man. I'm not even high or anything, just bonkers.

Writing the last update was fun. It reminded me of something else that happened in second grade.

I went to Catholic school for twelve years. The lower grades, say Kindergarten through about 4th grade, were always required to supply holiday entertainment in the form of some kind of presentation. Easter Pageant, Christmas Extravaganza, whatever. One Christmas, I was randomly picked (we drew names from a hat, I think) to play Santa Claus in the Christmas pageant. As a fat kid, I was mortified, of course, but there was no recourse - the nuns would hear none of it. So I just sucked it up and did it.

I was pretty terrified, but I handled it well. I knew my lines, I didn't get flustered. The butterflies went away eventually, and I settled in. During the climactic scene, in which Santa is giving a speech about the true meaning of Christmas (or whatever), I took my cue to turn toward the crowd and raise my hands. As I did, my pants fell right down to my ankles. I guess my belly was holding the belt up, and when I raised my arms, it shifted, and boom, Underwear Cheech.

Utter pandemonium ensued, of course. I truly don't remember anything after that incident until about fifth grade, when I won the school spelling bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment