Sunday, January 6, 2013

An Early Obituary for a Funny Man

This will happen some time in 2013:

A lot of people tell me that I'm a funny guy, and that makes me feel good.  Obvious, I know - people enjoy praise.  But it makes me feel extradoubleplusgood because I love comedians.  The great standup comedians, in my mind, include Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Louis CK, Bill Cosby, and the late Katt Williams.


When I was about 12, I saw Bill Cosby : Himself for the first time.  I laughed so much that I watched it again immediately.  I probably watched it 25 times.  And the first time I saw the Katt Williams performance linked above, I had the same level of experience.  You know the scene in "The Blues Brothers," in the church, with people writhing around with the power of the holy spirit?  It was like that.  Sort of.  I mean, I stayed in my chair, but you know.  I was moved to... to motion by how funny it was.

And then he completely imploded. I mean, this was a hard-core, I-am-not-fucking-around-here implosion, a personal dumpster fire the likes of which I had never seen.  The toxicology reports aren't in yet, but authorities aren't even sure if drugs were involved, or if the blunt trauma to the head was sufficient to kill him.  Drugs are assumed, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment