Thursday, January 3, 2013

Liquor In The Front... Poker In The Rear

I've been having trouble coming up with any damn thing even remotely interesting to write about. No updates in about 2 weeks.  But I just got an idea.  I was straightening up The Swamp when I came across my old CD collection - hundreds of them.  When I left my parents' house, I took the discs and booklets, and left the cases, to save space.  So when I'm stuck for something to write, I'll pull one out at random and review it.

Liquor in the Front - The Reverend Horton Heat, 1994

I'm not 100% sure why I bought this.  When I was a kid ("kid" being roughly up until I left home in 1996), I had a ton of disposable income - my car was old and paid for, my parents took care of pretty much all other need-based expenses, and I had a full-time job when I wasn't in college.  So I bought a LOT of CDs based on one or two hearings of one or two songs.  I think this is one of them.  In reading the track listing, I recognize only one title, "Liquor, Beer, and Wine."

The disc is pretty good so far (thru track 6).  Punky-rockabilly.  The harder tracks are actually pretty rockin'.  The Wikipedia article linked above says that it was produced by the guy from Ministry, and it really sounds like it.  I only have one disc by Ministry, somewhere in the pile, I assume, and I totally hear the similarity.

Just got to the track I remembered, "Liquor, Beer, and Wine," and frankly, it sucks, the weakest track so far.  Might as well cut this short.  65% of an album is enough to judge.

Would I buy it again, now?  No.  But I give it a B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment